Major Thomas Egbert Howorth

Thomas Egbert Howorth was born in Ashton-under-Lyne on the 19th of January 1878.

Thomas Egbert Howorth

Appointed Lieutenant with the 3rd Volounteer Battalion Manchester Regiment he maintained that rank and his seniority when the 3rd Volounteer Battalion became the 9th Battalion Manchester Regiment on April 1, 1908. On May 20th of the following year he was promoted to Captain.

He sailed with the 9th battalion to Egypt in September 1914 and served with them there during their training and preparation for action. He was promoted to Major on February 9, 1915 while serving in Egypt. He landed with the Battalion in Gallipoli on May 9, 1915 as “A” Company Commanding Officer. In September 1915 he was evacuated from Gallipoli and spent several weeks in hospital in Malta suffering from Enteric Fever. Later repatriated back to the UK spending time in hospital in Birmingham.

He rejoined the Battalion in November 1916 as a newly promoted Major (Gazetted November 2, 1916) and served with them in Egypt. In December 1916 he took over command of “C” Company, replacing Captain Oliver Jepson Sutton.

He sailed with the Battalion to France in March 1917 and by April was Commanding Officer of “A” Company. On June 25, 1917 he was slightly wounded at Havrincourt Wood but remained on duty at his post. He took leave to England from July 20th to August 2nd and attended a Summer rest camp for 12 days from September 15 to 29th while the Battalion was at Ypres. On December 14th he attended an RFC course for senior Officers. When the Battalion was reorganized in February 1918 he was assigned to the 66th Division.

On July 12, 1918 he was awarded the Belgian Croix de Guerre for gallantry. He ended the war serving with the 1st Battalion Manchester Regiment.

After the war, in early 1928, he married Florence Elizabeth Archer who was almost 30 years younger than he. They lived on Currier Lane in Ashton-under-Lyne where he was heavily involved with the Scouts.

Major Thomas Egbert Howorth died on December 5, 1945. He was 67 years old.